How to Renew or Replace your Permanent Residency Card

Guide to renew or replace your green card

Step One: Getting the right form to Renew / Replace your Permanent Resident Card…

Download the current version of the I-90 at FORM I-90.

If you file by paper, check to make sure you have the most recent version of this form. The expiration date of the form may be found in the top right-hand corner of the form.

Step Two: Completing my form…
Complete Form I-90. You will need to provide basic biographic information and the reason for the application.

Step Three: Preparing my application package…
Once completed and if filing by paper, you will sign and date Form I-90 and make a copy for your records.

USCIS charges a fee for processing an I-90 and for collecting biometric data in most cases. The current fees may be found by using the following link: FORM I-90. USCIS fees are payable by money order, personal check, cashier’s check, or by credit card using Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. If you pay by check, you must make your check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

You will need to provide two (2) passport photographs along with your application package. You should write your name and Alien Number on the back of each photograph.

You must complete all sections of your form. USCIS may reject your form if you leave a field blank. Read the form instructions for information on completing fields when your answer is “zero” or “not applicable (N/A).”

Additional supporting evidence and/or documentation may be needed with your form I-90. To determine what documentation you may need to include for processing the I-90 filing and collecting biometric data, CLICK HERE.

Step Four: Submitting my application…
You have two options for filing your Form I-90 with USCIS: online or by mail.  You can find instructions for either filing process HERE.

Total processing time on your new Permanent Resident Card can be found HERE.

Step Five: Following up on my application…

After receiving a receipt notice with a receipt number, you can track progress on your application HERE.

If you do not receive this receipt notice or your notice is lost or damaged, you can request a new notice by submitting an inquiry online or by calling the Contact Center. If you have a USCIS online account, you can print a copy of the notice for your records.

Once your application is filed you will receive a Biometric Data Appointment (unless it is waived) at your local USCIS service center. This is a quick appointment to collect your fingerprints.

If you are unable to make it to this appointment, you will need to re-schedule in advance by following the instructions on the appointment notice. Failure to appear at a scheduled appointment will result in your application being abandoned and USCIS does not refund filing fees.

You can find out to track delivery of your green card HERE.

As a lawful permanent resident, you must have a valid, unexpired green card or equivalent documentation with you at all times. Applying for naturalization does not change this requirement.