This post is part of a series about what to do while your Priority Date is retrogressed, once you have received your I-140 Approval Notice from USCIS. It applies to cases which will be processed through US Consulates, and not to Applications to Adjust Status filed in the US.

If you get divorced during the time that your Priority Date is retrogressed, you need to contact the NVC so that they remove your former spouse from your application. So that the fact you are not proceeding with your former spouse doesn’t affect the processing of your case. You will also need to submit a copy of the divorce decree. Here is a blog post that explains how to contact the NVC.