The CBP and the TSA have just released a series of travel tips in conjunction with the beginning of summer which are worth taking the time to review if you have any plans to travel in coming months. Some of the tips include:

*U.S. citizens traveling abroad must have approved travel documents when returning home.

*The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative requires U.S. and Canadian citizens, age 16 and older to present a valid, acceptable travel document that denotes both identity and citizenship when entering the U.S. by land or sea. U.S. and Canadian citizens under age 16 may present a birth certificate or alternative proof of citizenship when entering by land or sea.

*A radio frequency identification (RFID)-enabled travel document such as a U.S. Passport Card, Enhanced Driver’s License/Enhanced Identification Card or Trusted Traveler Program card expedites entry and makes crossing the border more efficient.

*All nationals or citizens of VWP countries are now required to have an approved Electronic System for Travel Authorization prior to boarding a carrier to travel by air or sea to the U.S. under the VWP. CBP continues to facilitate the entry process for Visa Waiver Program travelers into the U.S. by implementing the Electronic System for Travel Authorization requirement on January 12, 2009.

The full list of tips can be found here. The Hammond Law Group always recommends clients consult with counsel before all travel outside the United States.